Medicinal properties are said to be in the roots, leaves and hulls.
Greeks and Romans used Black Walnut for skin conditions such as fungal infections, and Chinese use it for pain in the lower to mid-back, constipation, asthma and other uses that show this plant has a number of medicinal qualities. It promotes healing of sores in the mouth and throat. It is also a parasitic.
What Science shows:
- The hulls are high in tannins which is why some use it to rid the body of intestinal worms/parasites.
- Studies in U of Missouri in 1960's seemed to show it helped with blood pressure and had some properties that may have anti-tumor affect.
- Black Walnut hulls are quite high in Vitamin C
- Past studies with an extract form showed it showed it contracted smooth muscles of rat and guinea pig intestines. Such activity is helpful in the elimination process
- Please contact me if you would like references for any of the above.
- Black Walnut can be purchased in capsule and extract form.
If you would like a fact sheet about any of the items marked in red, please send me an email, or ask in a comment, I approve all comments and won't approve a comment requesting a fact sheet. Thanks!
Image originally from http://www.marietta.edu